This post may contain affiliate links.
Perfectly seasoned, juicy shrimp layered with cream cheese and cocktail sauce is the perfect easy-to-make appetizer for impromptu get-togethers or parties. Layered Shrimp Dip has all the flavors of a classic shrimp cocktail, now made into a dip served with your favorite cracker!
Over the years, I’ve gotten a reputation for being able to host a party at the drop of a hat. There’s nothing like having people over to share what’s been going on, laugh a little or a lot, and hang out.
If friends drop by on a Friday evening, or if the spirit hits me and I invite neighbors over for drinks, I always have supplies ready to make a couple of delicious appetizers. Keeping things casual, yet special is always my goal. Entertaining doesn’t have to be complicated, and this recipe proves it.
Why You’ll Love This Dip Appetizer
- It has all the vibes and flavors of a classic shrimp cocktail with added flavor from a cream cheese layer.
- You can whip up this layered dip in just 15 minutes! Have someone serve drinks while you make it; then in a flash, you are ready to start the party.
- Layered Shrimp Dip can be made ahead of time. Chill it in the fridge for an hour before serving, grab some crackers, and you are done.
Scroll down for measurements and instructions.
Ingredients For This Layered Shrimp Dip Recipe
- Shrimp – I use frozen, cooked, peeled, and deveined shrimp. I usually buy what is on sale. If the shrimp are medium to large, I chop them into bit size pieces when not using small shrimp.
- Shrimp Seasoning – my favorite is Dan-O’s Original plus Spicy Seasoning. Old Bay is also excellent for this recipe.
- Homemade Cocktail Sauce – this simple sauce is made with ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, and Worcestershire. You can also use pre-made spicy cocktail sauce or chili sauce.
- Cream Cheese – use softened cream cheese for easy spreading. I use full fat cream cheese, but low-fat can be substituted.
- Fresh Chives – chopped.
- Fresh Parsley – chopped.
Often Asked Questions And Answers
You can use any size of shrimp. Make sure it’s thawed, peeled, and deveined. If using larger-sized shrimp, chop them into bite-size pieces.
I use a shallow serving dish so that all the layers of the dip are showing and serving is easy.
If you have leftovers, store them in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Just be aware that this is not one of those dishes that keeps long once it’s made.
Yes, it sure can. You can make layered shrimp cocktail dip about an hour before serving. Cover it with plastic wrap and store it in the fridge.
How To Make Homemade Cocktail Sauce
I’m a big fan of making homemade sauce because I can control the spice and heat. Plus, it’s so darn easy and way better than anything you buy in the store. Here’s how it comes together:
In a medium size bowl, place ketchup, lemon juice, horseradish, and Worcestershire sauce and stir until blended. Add salt, pepper, and hot sauce, stirring to mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Comfort Food With A Twist
Subscribe now for the latest recipes, tips, and secret ingredients!
Let’s Build The Layers
The steps to making Layered Shrimp Dip are super easy:
- Spread softened cream cheese in a shallow serving dish.
- Spoon cocktail sauce over the cream cheese, leaving a bit of the cream cheese around the edges.
- Gently place the seasoned chopped shrimp on top of the cocktail sauce.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped chives and parsley. Chopped green onions can also be used as a topping.
What To Serve With Shrimp Dip
Layered shrimp dip with cream cheese and cocktail sauce can be served with all kinds of different dippers. My favorites are round butter crackers or club crackers. It’s also great with carrots and celery sticks. Pita or tortilla chips are also excellent to serve alongside.
Here are More Easy Appetizer Recipes
Layered Shrimp Dip
Servings: 12 servings
Perfectly seasoned, juicy shrimp layered with cream cheese and cocktail sauce is the perfect easy-to-make appetizer for impromptu get-togethers and parties. Layered Shrimp Dip has all the flavors of a classic shrimp cocktail, now made into a dip served with your favorite cracker!
Homemade Cocktail Sauce Recipe